06 February 2007

Watch where your stepping...

I broke my flip flop getting off the shuttle this morning :( but lucky I keep shoes in my office, so my only problem was to go from the shuttle to my office. The options I had at that moment were to do the one foot hop or just walk in my bare feet, I chose the bare feet of course. There is a few reasons for this (everything I do is a well thought out plan you see...), first off my hopping ability is fairly limited especially the for the distance I needed to travel, and secondly everyone walks around in their bare feet.

I really appreciated this when I first got here, as my hatred for shoes and socks has not been diminished. There was a few problems with this for me though, there can be lots of glass on the roads/ sidewalks around obz, a student area with lots of bars (no one will care if you walk around with bottles), and car windows get broken quite frequently. I have gone to the grocery store a few times without shoes but I spend the entire walk staring at the pavement looking for glass, so not really worth it. Additionally my feet are wimps. When I was young I could walk over gravel and pavement without a single utterance of owy, but now the few hundred meters to my office caused about 4 owies to come out. I do occasionally run to get a coffee without shoes just for the simple fact I don't want to put them on, and around the department I have no problem (my wimpy feet can handle tiled floors). I think I need to toughen up the ol' footies because this whole shoe thing really doesn't appeal to me, I don't have any real problems with flip flops as they protect me from the owies and don't make the feet feel claustrophobic but they have been know to break at unfortunate times.

There was this professor at DAL who always walked around with bare feet, I'm thinking he was probably a SAer, make sense now. A lot of people poked fun of him, I'm glad I didn't (but this had more to do with my aversion to shoes, than just being kind, so I kinda of got it) because I think that I may have the same issue upon my return - good lesson to be learned don't make fun because one day it could be you.

1 comment:

Ellie Fish said...

Ew. Someone walked around the LSC in bare feet? I'd go around my office in socks, but never without! You need some kind of protective covering! Floors are gross!