02 February 2007

To Awkward to be Rich

I don't have a domestic worker, I do my own (and unfortunately my roommate's, a lot) cleaning. At times I'm very embarrassed of this, not the fact that I can't afford it or for the 'status' but because I probably could afford it and it means I'm not providing a job. A lot of people who are quite capable and willing to clean their own homes take on domestic workers just to provide a job for someone, its crap money but still its money and there are so many people who need whatever they can get.

This being said, I'm way to awkward to have someone clean for me. It just feels wrong. Take the cleaners here at school for example. She comes in (there's a few in the building but they have their regular floors) and empties the garbage everyday and about once a week will sweep and mop the floors of all the offices. Everytime she empties my garbage I always thank her, which she seemed a little surprised at at first. When she cleans the floors though I usually leave, first off its easier with me not around but I just feel so useless, there is absolutely no reason why I couldn't do it myself, it would take a few minutes once a week. I'm not to good to do my own cleaning. I almost feel like I should get her a gift or something but she's doing her job and I don't know if it would offend her or not.

At my old place they (we) did get a cleaner in occasionally, when it call for it or when everyone had a bit of extra money. But she was never there when I was, and she only came a few times during the period I lived there. My roommate has someone he calls when he needs to, but since I moved in the place has been clean enough not to have to, thankfully. If we needed to I would make my roommate deal with it, because at home you really can't leave the person alone (you can once you know them, I don't know how well my roommate knows his person). So what do you do, sit on the couch and watch them clean your place, and move occasionally to allow them to clean where you are. I'm sorry I don't think I could do that, its my mess if I can't clean it up myself I shouldn't make it.

If I ever get rich I couldn't become one of these lazy ass rich people who can't do anything for them selves except pick up a phone to get others to do those things that I deem to belittling or beneath me because simply I'm too awkward to just sit there and watch others do for me. Maybe this just means I'm a communist at heart, to bad that communism just doesn't work when put into practise, well at least on a large scale. Anybody know a nice commune that needs a geologist?

No comments: