16 February 2007

Arbitrary Things Cont'd

7. The rainbow nation: SA is known as the rainbow nation, and one of the major reasons I love this city/ country so much. The number of languages I hear on any given day can be upwards of 15, no joke. SA alone has 11 official languages although around Cape Town one usually only hears three. I know this is mainly because I live in Obz and go to university that I'm around a lot more international people, but still last week on the shuttle I heard 5 different conversions in 5 different languages. I'm only slightly embarrassed of my non-poly linguistic language abilities.

8. 'Rush week': I dislike the fact that are the students have come back and have taken over the campus and thus making me wait in lines for food and help. But I am so impressed with all the clubs and groups here that set up booths for a few days around campus. They had climbing walls, a bar, trampoline and so much more. It was a lot of fun and some very cool groups: surfing, underwater club (scuba), ballroom dancing, mountain and ski club and hundreds more. If DAL had this many groups and clubs I definitely missed that, but than again I'm such a joiner.

9. Colour Pens: I have taken a real liking to brightly coloured pens, pinks, greens, blues, purples etc... Main reason people don't steal them as much and those who do are easy to catch.

10. Film festivals: There are so many film festivals around Cape Town - and most are free!!! Canadian film festival starts today hopefully it will be good because after the Israeli one we went to the bar is set high.

1 comment:

Ellie Fish said...

If you ever get a chance to see the Canadian film "Everything's Gone Green" you shouldn't miss it.

And I know what you mean about the undergrads. I wish a school composed only of grad students was viable.