07 February 2007

I am NOT an American!

I soon as I open my mouth most people assume I'm an American, that's okay I would prefer if the didn't but what can a girl to do. Some people do ask where I'm from and when I say Canada I believe every single time the response has been Ohhh, which than is usually proceeded by a much friendlier interaction with the person. One of my favorites is a guy that runs one the food shop things here on campus. During the summer vacation they were one of the few places open so they got to know me. He was always friendly and chit chatted a bit, than a little while ago I was talking to someone else in line and they asked where I was from and when I told him the guy behind the counter kind of perked up and said I thought you were American (he's Lebanese - may have something to do with it) and ever since then he has been overly nice to me. He has given me discounts on my coffee so I didn't have to break a bills and stuff. His son is the one who owns the place, and his father just runs it and in the mornings his son is there before he goes to work, the first time he was there and I went in the first thing the guy said was you know she Canadian not American (he said this in English to, so obviously he wanted to me to hear it), and his son has been nicer since as well.

I don't hate Americans (especially now that I'm related to 1) but why do they have to keep re-enforcing the horrible stereotypical American. The reason this is coming up now is that the new term is about to start and a lot of Americans come to UCT for a term on exchange. I do not want to be associated in any which way with them, and I think I will start carrying a rather large Canadian flag with me. I ran to the mall yesterday and was on the shuttle coming back to school and there was the most stereotypical young American boys sitting in front of me. I was embarrassed for them, if they want to the idiots they are than fine, at least keep your voices down so the rest of the shuttle doesn't have to be subjected to the inane blatherings of young stupid Americans.

I always thought that at least the ones that travel are not so... stereotypical because obviously they have some inkling of the world around them because otherwise they never would have left. But sadly no. Out of the ones I meet here I have liked a grand total of 1, she was super sweet but she was living here doing her PhD so she was bit older and had done a lot of travelling before. To bad she's left, I really enjoyed her she was a very strong female and incredibly intelligent and great to argue with. But the same can't be said for all of the others, an 'acquaintance' of mine (through my old roommate's, friend's roommate- don't want to be associated to closely) was the worse I think so far. She was from Iowa but talked like a valley girl, and was so ignorant of South Africa and the world in general it astounded me that she was actually able to fly to SA with out the aid of parents or some type of qualified professional.

I do tend to meet a lot of Americans because as soon as they here my accent they jump on me. Because why would you want to interact with people from the 50 other nations sitting around you when you can talk to a fellow American. When I was on the shuttle with the 3 American boys someone had ask me the time, when I answered I was very quiet because I was only 2 seats back and I know they would have started peppering me with questions if they heard me - and I didn't not want to get involved in that. With this new influx of stupid Americans I have to be a bit more careful. Don't get me wrong in general (I think) I really don't a have a problem with Americans (just the government) and I would never judge anyone because of that, its just why are they soooooo stereotypical, when they leave does the government give them a list of things to say and do so that everyone within a half mile radius of them will know they are American, I just don't get it. Proud to be Canadian - and not having to be embarrassed by fellow countryman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.