11 January 2007

Old and not so pretty

Can someone explain to me why as a day progresses the worse you look. I leave in the morning, just wearing t-shirt and jeans, nothing special but I don't look horrible, but by the time lunch hits I look like the biggest slob in the world. The clothes have stretched out, my hair is going in ever direction and I've seemed to have age about 15 years. I know the clothes look bad because I buy such cheap clothing and so it doesn't keep its shape but you would think it would last to dinner time. I mean 3 hours is just not enough good looking time to last you through out the day. But I guess this is why I always get re-ready before I go out at night because at least that way your 3 hours of good looking time is almost appropriate, because after 3 hours or so no one is sober enough to realize that your clothes have stretched, the hair is every which way and that I have aged 15 years. I can't think of a better reason to hang out in bars other than that.

Even before I age those 15 years I'm still official old. I never get IDed anymore, which is understandable as the drinking age is 18 (and there is no way that I can pass as 17 anymore) but its not even that, I feel old at times too. A couple of us went playing pool the other night, (R6 drinks- works out to be less than $1/drink... only slightly dangerous because it is Tuesday and I'm a responsible student) the place we went is for over 18 only. We were playing pool and this group of kids come in, they didn't scream under 18 until you looked at them. One guy was wearing a suit and tie, first of all no one wears a tie out if he had been coming from somewhere you'd take it off, secondly he was the only one of the group that was dressed up- again if you were coming from somewhere you'd all be dressed up. The girls in the group were no better, a pound of make-up each and slutty-ish clothing and crazy high heels. They then proceed to take the table between the bar and where the bouncer would be sitting in an hour or so time. Dumb! Are kids getting stupider or something, seriously use some common sense. I felt so old watching them get Ided, I swear I was never that stupid. We had my roommate's son with us who is under 18, he wasn't drinking and his dad knew we were there so it wasn't anything bad (defending myself). But we came before the bouncer was on, got a table in a corner and told him to behave. We didn't have any problems, but than again I'm sure that being with us he looked far less suspicious and we also knew a few of the bartenders so if they did realize I doubt the would have done anything, especially when we left before the bouncers arrived and the place got busy.

Nothing has made feel as old than hanging out with a 16 year old. Its not even the maturity thing or the different interests even, it is the simple every day things that I just take as such common sense or common knowledge. I do realize that some of the lack of knowledge I see is the cultural gap but still... he had no idea what 9/11 was even after I explained it, (it did happen in the US but they do refer to it here quite a bit about security measures and such), I had to explain that the cold war was actually not a real war and no shot was ever fired (he didn't really believe me, and was arguing than why do they call it a war- try and explain that simply!). I thought that these things were just common knowledge, maybe its the school system or maybe 16 year olds just don't know this stuff. When I try and remember what I knew at 16, and realize that it was a very long time ago and can't really remember I get a little worried. I have no problem growing old but to realize that you actually stop remembering what its like to be a teenage is freaky. By the time I get around to having kids and them growing up and becoming teenagers I will be so out of touch with teenagers I feel bad for my hypothetical kids, maybe I'll just need to marry a young guy so that way he can at least be a bit more in touch with our teenagers- or maybe I should stop worrying about my hypothetical kids.

No comments: