08 January 2007

Land Mines... no prob I have a Isuzu

I'm not sure if this commercial is a international thing or just here in southern Africa, but Isuzu has this commercial where you follow this big bakki through jungle areas and off roading, than gives some statistics at the end about the number of weapons and landmines destroy by whomever up in Mozambique. And guess what, I'm sure that that particular vehicle is the only reason the weapons and landmines have been destroyed. I always find those commercials kinda of funny because they always make out that these great feats are only accomplished by using this type of car or battery or whatever.

Landmines are not something that I ever have taken into consideration concerning anything. There was a few of us hanging out the other night and one friend is planning a road trip up to Mozambique and was asking another friend about her trip up there. The majority of the conversation surrounded where it was safe to drive because of the landmines. I have to say I didn't realize Mozambique had had it that bad during the last civil war, I always thought of it as this nice quiet vacation place, kinda of slow pace and all that jazz, and very safe. Sure you can mugged or whatever but that can happen anywhere, its the idea of landmines that kinda of freak me out.

From my understanding as long as you stick to the highways and major roads you cool they've cleared all those but if you want to go to any of the smaller towns or off the main path you have to seriously be careful. There's all these precautions that you can take if you are off the beaten track, such as drive down the middle of the road landmines tend to be more on either side, I never knew. I was told that most South Africans were terrified to drive around Mozambique just a few years ago, but they have put in so many new roads and have cleared so many roads that it is much safer. It doesn't surprise me that SA-cans were afraid to drive around up there, they scare themselves so easily. Places where tourists or international people will go or how they travel there are not the usual for the locals, somewhat understandable but still very ignorant. Like the mini-bus taxis, perfectly safe during the day, one of cheapest and fastest ways to get around but if your white on a taxi, they basically know your not from around here. Local whites would hardly ever consider taking a taxi it wouldn't even occur to them, lots take the train to the city in the morning but they all go in 'first class' (its R2 more exactly the same train cars as third class but about half as many people, as well much fewer blacks). I do take the first class not because of the blacks of course but it is safer, as sad as it is. It might be bad to say but its the people who can't afford the extra R2 that are a bit more likely to mug you, not that all less advantage people are muggers by any means its just that when you have such a little amount mugging does become slightly more appealing.

I have basically decided when I go up to Mozambique I don't think I will be the one to do the driving. But than again would I not prefer to be the one responsible for blowing off my own limbs rather than someone else... a dilemma I never thought I would have. But that's right I don't need to worry about blowing off limbs when I drive my Isuzu.

No comments: