24 January 2007

Independence Wanted

In general I have to stay I think of myself as a pretty independent person, but lately I have to rely on several other people to get things done and their beginning to piss me off. I have previously mentioned I tend to have difficulties finding people which hasn't gotten any better - just wait and see...

It's registering time again, which means a hell of a lot of work. I'm really missing the simplicity and efficiency of Dal (never thought I would say that). I wonder if it was this bad for international student there, because I can not imagine. I'm filling out paper work to have my international fees waived (a lot of money so worth the work, I think), but this means I fill out 1 form, get a letter from my supervisor, get the first form signed by three different people (in 3 buildings spanning 2 campuses) before it finally goes to the head of the science faculty for finally approval. I do understand that there needs to be safe guards and such but seriously this seems slightly extreme. This is all before I even beginning the registering process. I went to find signature #1 today and guess what, I couldn't find him - which doesn't bode well for the other 2 I have to find because at least this guy is in the same building as me. So tomorrow watch out because I'm not leaving without all 3 signatures- well that's the plan anyway.

My main problem with other people right now though is the Namibians. Not with all Namibians just the department of marine whatever. I'm working with them, mainly for sample collection as apart of my thesis. Originally I was supposed to go out on a cruise in December, which got postponed to the beginning of January because of a contract change with the crew of the ship. The January cruise got cancelled, or postponed to the beginning of February. This cruise, the one at the beginning of February has been on and off 4 freaking times!! Yesterday I was sent a invite letter, which I need to get my visa to get into the country (I was half considering skipping the visa and sneaking in but I figured my corer and cooler might scream non-vacation trip). Today I booked my ticket sent off everything for my visa and book my hotel rooms, was quite proud of myself, got everything done and felt much more relaxed. That relaxed state only lasted about an hour when I got an email saying there's a good possibility that the cruise will be cancelled yet again - it supposed to leave in 8 days WTF!!!! So now I'm trying to stop the purchase of my flight, there is no refund, my visa application has already been sent (which is not cheap). At least none of this is out of my pocket but out of my research funds so its actually not much better. If I could just get my samples myself I would have had them back in December and wouldn't have to worry about any of this crap.

Its nice to ask for help and collaborate on projects but I'm getting really tired of this and just want to do my work. Is this really to much to ask. I just want my independence back, or people that are easy to find and a boat that goes out when its suppose to.

No comments: