03 January 2007

Bubble Girl Part III

This is the final post for the bubble girl series, just two more accidents and a little more blood. I went to school one day last week just to pick up a few things, but I was still on vacation. I was on the shuttle on my way to school and it makes a couple of stops before it gets to upper campus where my office is. All the residences have gates that you have to go through to get in, so they shuttle always pulls up and waits for the gate to open. I guess our driver got a little impatient and decided to get through before the gate had completely opened, therefore ripping up the one side of the shuttle along the gate. No one was hurt or anything but the driver had to get out and check out the damage and call whom ever, so it took me forever to get to school.

Not all that exciting or anything but the reason I mention it is because not 2 hours later I was in another accident, thus making it a great day. I decided to go into the city center to complete my three week search for a fan. I grabbed a minibus taxi, and I ended up in the very back, smooched in with 3 rather large men. This taxi wasn't in the best condition, not unlike any of the others, the seat in the back was higher on one side than the other so even my head was basically touching the roof. The ride was fine, nothing unusual I was leaning a bit forward because the 3 big guys had big shoulders so I didn't fit in well. We get to the taxi rank in the CBD and there was a little line up of taxis to turn in, that's when we get hit from behind (no pun intended). We weren't hit that hard at all but because our side of the seat was higher the guy beside me hit his head on a metal beam-thing that runs across the roof. Luckily because I was leaning forward and had a bun in I hardly hit my head but the guy beside me must of hit something because he had a scratch on the back of his. I didn't realize this until I look down on my arm and there was a few drops of blood. He was fine and we all got out of the taxi and left as the two drivers were screaming at each other.

Neither of these accidents were all that significant its just in a matter of a few days that's a lot of blood and crashing for 1 person. This is when I decided I'm going to make myself a bubble wrap suit, because I'm not getting hurt in this country! Don't get me wrong there is decent medical care here, especially if you go to private hospitals, even at the public ones but it just takes you for ever to get seen, especially if its not that serious, you know not stabbed or shot. My problem comes in with what happens to me before I get to the hospital because after I saw that motorbike accident, eeks!

The bubble suit hasn't come that far yet, I haven't figured out a ventilation system for it yet. I think I may actually be in more trouble with a bubble suit if I don't because I'll die from heat. So any ideas for a ventilation system would be greatly appreciated!

No comments: