21 November 2006

Laundry Day

Yesterday was laundry day, without a wash and drier in our flat I have to go to the Laundromat. That doesn't really bother me except for two things, first you don't do your own laundry, all the laundries do it for you. It is not that I'm going to a high-end places or anything but nothing in this country is self serve. Which in the grand scheme of things is probably a good thing because it does create a hell of a lot of jobs. You have people weighing your fruit and vegetables for you, picking out your bread and even photocopying. Unless I'm at UCT I do not have the ability to do my own photocopying, which again may not sound that bad but when I am more competent to do it than the person 'helping' me is, I do become slightly irritable.

So I drop off my laundry for someone else to do, doesn't weird me out that much anymore but for some reason it did in the beginning. The second problem with the laundry is that I have to sleep in to be able to drop it off. The place doesn't open till 8am, I'm usually at school by then, and I have to make sure I leave at decent hour to pick it up before they close at 6pm. So I guess the moral is if I'm really busy I'm either going to have to be very dirty or sweet talk my flatmate into helping a sister out.

Laundry day is not the most flattering day for me, I'm sure this goes for everyone. It used to be that laundry day may have meant resorting to a skirt, but these days with summer right around the corner (today 28 degrees) those skirts are getting much more action which results in me being covered head to toe on laundry day with clothing that is at least 2 sizes to big. I was coming home yesterday (at a reasonable hour to pick up my laundry) I was waiting to cross the street and some guy comes up besides me and starts hitting on me. Light turns I walk away, but than it dawns on me, he's the first person to hit on me today (well yesterday)! This is an extraordinary thing I made it to 530 with only being hit on once, I must look like crap!

I have heard stories from people who have travelled throughout Europe about how forward the guys are but I can't say for sure but I think African guys are worse. You do not only get hit upon but here you also get marriage proposals. Not so much here in Cape Town (I've only had 1), but travel to more rural areas or other countries (i.e. Swaziland) and you can be getting upwards of 8 or 9 a day (he he, Laura). So with this said I will follow in my friend Leslie's footsteps and develop a scale, this one is to determine on any given day how good I'm a looking...

15-20 guys hit on you within a couple of hours: Your looking smoking, remember this outfit for special occasions
10-15 guys: I'm looking good, good enough to make a first move
5-10 guys: Average day, so don't get big headed
2-5 guys: Maybe you should think about going to bed a little earlier, couldn't hurt!
1 guy: Serious re-thinking to do, unless of course its laundry day :)
0 guys: Crawl back into bed and find a very large bottle of vodka, nothing else will help

As most of you know (or I hope you know) I am not a vain person, I don't even own my own mirror! So please take this scale with a grain or two of salt, and adapt as necessary!

Just posted some photos, their very random and there's still plenty waiting to get developed so if you want a good time waster....
Enjoy!

No comments: