17 November 2006

Berkie Fights

So you come home and there's this pool of red liquid stuff lying over your front steps, you think nothing of it and step over it and forget about. This happened to a friend of mine, we were later joking 'it looks like someone got murder on your front step', laughing it off. Yesterday my friend gets an SMS from her roommate saying what happened on the front step? Well it turns out there was a crazy berkie fight, and the pool of red liquid stuff is in fact blood, and a hell of a lot of it. She wasn't home at the time, and we're not sure why they ended up inside her front yard on the steps (you do have to open gate to get in there) but there was in fact a berkie fight in her front yard. With the amount of blood on the step I'd say that it is a good thing we live so close to a hospital. She refuses to clean up the blood so does the entire household. It is now 2 days later their still stepping over the large pool of congealed blood. Where else would 4 decent young, relative well bred individuals walking around blood on the front step, and not even be bothered by it. I have to say I walk around it without to much thought. 10 bucks says it will continue to sit there until the landlady comes next.

I have only witness 1 berkie fight before, the damn bastards woke me up one night when they were going at it under my patio. I sleep through anything, literally fire alarms, phones, 7 people partying not five feet away in our lounge, nothing... so for these berkies to wake me explains a lot. I don't think that fight got all that violent because I went back to sleep and nothing else woke me up, but were they ever freaking out. I wish I could have understood more of what they were saying, i would love to know what causes a berkie fight, food or money I'm guessing. Even then most of these berkies are so placid because they get so much crap from people. These guys get mugged more than anyone, you know most of them have been collecting money all day and that they always keep everything on them so they become an easy target. Most of these guys are not insane just slightly crazy, so who knows what they were actually fighting about.

I live just around the corner from where this happened and I walk by everyday back and forth to school, so not even 24 hours proceeding this Berkie fight their was a group of people standing basically in front of my friend's house where the fight to place. I asked what was going on, turns out that some stupid idiot just had broken into two cars right there in front of her house on a pretty main road at 530 at night!!! Can you say stupid, he broke the windows to get in. Cars get broken into every night, no big its apart of life, but a 530 when everyone is coming home and you break windows knowing the cars will have alarms, because ever car has an alarm here. No seriously, my ex-flatmate was driving a 1970s beetle with a alarm system. The worse part, he got away. As much of an idiot as he was, he still got away with it there something to say about that. Coming back to the point that I have become total de-sensitized, three of us were sitting watching a movie we hear a house alarm go off, it keeps going for about a minute we start bitching we'll have to close the window so we can hear the movie than realize that not 1 of the 3 of us even bothered to stand up and look out the window to see if in fact someone's house had been broken into. We wouldn't have had to do anything more than to stand up and look out a window, but alarms get set off pretty regularly and that's what you do pay armed response for but there is something to say about community involvement. After a minute (if it stays on for that long chances are something is up or something weird set it off because obviously the people aren't home otherwise they would have turned it off) 1 of us gets up looks out the window, don't see any broken windows on the house or anything so we close the window and go back to the movie.

But that's the thing living in Obz, its pretty likely you will be mugged at some point or at least followed (happens to me about once a week or so) but to have your place broken into does not happen all that often. A suburb just down the road (where UCT is) is considered a nice area and pretty safe, you basically know you won't be mugged but it is much more likely your house will be broken into. I would much rather being mugged than have my place broken into especially if I'm at home, home is suppose to be safe. Your sitting in your kitchen turn around and having some guy in your home pointing a gun or knife at you would freak the hell out of me I'm sure. Just another reason to love Obz.

1 comment:

Ellie Fish said...

You really live in another world, Annie. In Edmonton, we refuse to clean snow off our front steps. The whole blood thing just never comes up.