30 November 2006

Dumpster diving to walking Q-tips

I love walking around in this city, you can never get bored you see some of the crazy most abnormal things everyday. I know I have said this a thousand times but it is true. Take Tuesday for example, it was garbage day, so everyone puts out there bins on the side walk, but because of the huge amount of homeless you know they are going to go through ever single bin. We use to always put the stuff the may want on the top and never tied the bags so that way they could get easier and if there was broken glass we tried to wrap it up really well and labelled it in at least 2 languages. So on my way to school I'm used to seeing people dumpster diving (people here actually don't know the term and find it very funny) but this Tuesday I come walking up Station Rd. and see this big mamma (rather large black women, not an offensive term here)looking through a bin and then moved on to the next one, I registered her but didn't give it much thought. When she got to the next bin is reached in and plucked a kid (maybe 6 or 7) out of the bin, and moved on to the next one. At the sight of that I was taken a back for a moment, but when she got to the next bin and pick another kid out of another bin (this one even younger) I thought I must be imagining this, until she grab a third kid out of a third bin!! I'm so thankful for sunglasses because as I saw the third kid being plucked from the bin my eyes must have almost bulged out of my head. There was nothing I could do, I didn't even have any cash on me to give them, so I just keep on my way to school but it did look like the got some good stuff, a new pair of shoes and some type of clothing.

That was only a one time thing, I highly doubt I will be seeing kids being pulled from garbage bins on a regular basis. The thing I do see all the time is people carrying around loaves of bread. I find this so funny, and I don't even know why, the berkies sure, breads cheap and filling, but I hardly see them with loaves of bread its just random everyday people walking down the road with their loafs of bread. Plastic bags here do cost a few cents to get (great idea and should be started at home as soon as possible) so I understand if you only have one item you won't get a bag, but how many people go to the store and only buy bread? I mean this bread carrying thing isn't a random occurrance, probably once a day or at least every 2 days I see people taking their bread for walks. I just don't know.

I went to the national muesum on the weekend, one of best muesum I have ever gone to, it has my three favorite things minerals/fossils, biology, and African history and artifacts, I was like a kid in the candy store! But on my way there I was walking down a street in the city center and there was nobody around really, Sunday during the day the city center is pretty dead. I look up and see this random guy walking down the road (in the middle) holding an enomorous flag that reads "Don't want to go to hell, repent your sins and love Jesus", maybe not that random becasue there is a lot of freaks out there, but their not usually walking down the middle of an empty street spreading their message. It did turn out that there was a festival going on (still not sure what festival) but there were a few stages with live bands and all of that, lots of fun and some good music. So the guy probably showed up for all those people but still he was walking away from all of them and on an empty street, go figure.

This morning I was cutting through Groote Schuur (Hospital where the first heart transplant was done) like I always do to catch the shuttle and I saw a walking Q-tip (kinda of a mean reference, I am in fact a bitch). Some guy got beat up or hurt some how, and had his wrapped up with a huge white bandage (slightly bigger than the turbans that the Sihk men wear) and he was super skinny, so he literally became a walking Q-tip. I guess this isn't even all that out of the ordinary but it just shows that you never know what your going to entertain yourself with when you go out a walking.

No comments: