27 November 2006

Chivalry

I have been taking the shuttle in the morning to school, I have a few reasons for this. First of all at 7:30 in the morning is not a nice time to drag your ass half way up a mountain, once and awhile sure but every single day, it begins to hurt. Secondly I arrive here in a ball of sweat (nice thought for the day), so it just wasn't working for me. This is okay since I walk home, still get a nice walk which is down hill plus I can shower when I get home.

So this morning I took my shuttle, which is running so much less frequently, as it is summer vacation which inevitable causes a whole slew of curses to come from my mouth. Following what seems like an eternity the shuttle comes, and the three of us who were waiting get on (all female). The shuttle was full, as it doesn't run as frequently (see above) so we had to stand, but the weird/cool thing was that as the three of us were standing all these guys started getting up and offering us their seats. I refused the seat because at heart I am a feminist, and to me there was no reason that I couldn't stand for the five minute trip. The other girls took the seats and at the next stop the same thing happened. I actually find it kind of demeaning sometimes when guys try to be a chevalier and open car doors and things, but for some reason when I saw these guys offering up their seats I found it so sweet. I saw these guys completely differently, to the extend that I was actually checking them out.

I don't know what this has to say about my feminist heart and all, I guess I'm actually a sucker for sweet guys just not to sweet. It is one thing I have to say about the guys here, they do tend to be very sweet and gentle (most, or they are the exact opposite you don't find much in the middle) but to have upwards of 10 guys all giving up their seats was a flash back to the 1950s for me. It is something I really didn't expect, so not a bad way to start the day even if I did have to wait for the shuttle.

No comments: