19 March 2010

Thank Google

Awhile back during one of my familial encounters, we were discussing the downfall of starbucks, and the continuing rise of good ol’ Timmy’s. The older generation believed that the higher prices and economic downfall of starbucks is directly related to the new fangled phenomenon of surfing the internet/ studying at coffee shops.

The first reason that is leading to the downfall is due to the long time period the tables are occupied (Tim’s has a 20min policy), SB’s coffee is $4 and say you stay an hour and half with your laptop – that’s about 4.4¢/ min. At Tim’s your coffee is about $1.25 and your stay is 20mins or 6.5¢/ min – so your Tim’s table is worth 2¢ more a minute that you’re fancy SB. Who would have thunk.

I was reading a cricket article, (yes I read about cricket since I can’t watch it) and the author (from the older generation) wanted to try out this new fangled phenomenon, especially since he was in the USA where I’m sure it’s even more prevalent.

While he was enjoying his coffee and free internet in walks Lara Croft (he is more out of touch than you would think). So he jumps on google to look up who she is, and of course finds out anything you would ever want to know and I’m sure so much more.

This brings me to my point - I love google and wikipedia, and really miss it when is not at my finger tips. Watching a movie and trying to decide if the actor is dead or not, the random word you have no clue the meaning, the cheapest way to get to Timbuktu (seriously, I’ve done it). I have gathered so much random knowledge that I never would have acquired without google at my side.

When the group of us were sitting around chatting the night away there were always times we would say ‘I wish I had google!” I don’t know how many hours we could have saved from arguing over some small fact (i.e. the release date of Gone with the Wind) if we had just had google.

From now on my expression of relieve will be in devotion of one of the most powerful forces in my life… Thank Google!

No comments: