08 December 2006

No more newspapers...

I've had it, I am not reading the local newspaper any longer. Okay I will but don't want to. Most mornings, as long as I get my ass out of bed at a decent hour, I get a coffee and read a bit of the paper before I start to work. This is a nice calming activity and has become a part of my morning routine. But the problem has become I can't handle reading the paper in the morning anymore, today I was almost in tears by the time I had finished.

The papers here are horribly sensationalized, I do realize this but still the actual information in the stories is what gets to me. The first five stories I opened up today 1) A 7 year old boy sold his bike to buy bread for his mother and sister (nice part though a group got together to get him a bike for Christmas and a grocery store is giving them gift certificates for a year but still tugs on the heart strings) 2) The son of a big time reporter was found burned alive in the trunk of his car 3) A mother donates her kidney to her son and gave him HIV in the process because the hospital was to incompetent to test for HIV even though they told them it would 4) A police officer shot and killed his wife than himself (this has actually been happening quite a bit lately I can think of at least 4 other case in which police officers killed their wife/ girlfriend than themselves in the last 2 months or so) 5) And last but most heart wrenching for me, a five year old was found wondering the streets with burns on her hands and she had been whipped. Her parents accused her of stealing 30 cents than placed her hands on a hot plate, whipped her and kicked her out of the house. When she was found she had been wondering the streets of a township for more than 24 hours!! Who could do that to a five year old little girl, especially when its your own daughter!

That is how my morning started and I just couldn't read anymore so I gave up and started to work. Well I guess that is one positive that the worse the news stories get the more work I get done, but I think I would rather read nice stories about how good this world is (not saying ignore the bad stuff just wish there wasn't any) than increasing the amount of work I get done.

1 comment:

Ellie Fish said...

I made the mistake of reading (on- line)the local paper from my hometown. There were two things that stood out: a man dropped his 20 month-old baby into the Ganaraska river. Wonderfully, the kid survived and the father was charged. The other was a murder trial of a man accused of killing a 60-something woman he sexually assaulted.
Even small town papers aren't safe to read.